Because the best marketers deserve great content.
10 Essential Social Media Marketing Statistics for 2017
There’s no doubt that social media has fundamentally changed the way we do marketing. Consumers and brands are more connected than ever, and they’re interacting at a speed unimaginable even 5 or 10 years ago. Social has also connected customers to a wealth of new information. Buying decisions are now determined by everything from the recommendations of celebrities and influencers to the opinions of other customers and the content of disruptors. Developing a process for planning, creating, and measuring your social initiatives will be critical to adapting to a shifting landscape in 2017. Use the following trends to help your team stay ahead of your customers, peers, and competitors.
- According to a study by Pew Research Center, 79% of adult internet users are on Facebook, which is a 7% increase from 2015. (Pew)
- Twitter’s user growth continues to plateau, with only 3% year over year (YOY) user growth worldwide and 0% YOY in the U.S. (TechCrunch)
- While Facebook drives more referrals to external content, Twitter users engage 24% longer with long-form and 14% longer with short-form content. (Pew)
- NFL television ratings were down 11% this fall. (Washington Post) But live-streamed Thursday Night Football on Twitter has risen 28% since the platform’s inaugural stream in September 2016. (Twitter)
- During the first Presidential debate in 2016, debate-related Facebook Live videos generated 55 million views. (Wall Street Journal)
- Snapchat’s user base includes almost 40% of American millennials, suggesting that the social app will continue to gain in importance for brands seeking to engage this target audience. (Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers)
- The consumer-brand relationship on Snapchat is as ephemeral as you’d imagine. On average, consumers interact with branded Snapchat filters for 20 seconds. (Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers) Snapchat video ads are viewed for less than three seconds on average. To stand out on this platform, your brand will need content that can pack a punch (and make an impact) in a matter of seconds. (Adage)
- Overall, Snapchat continues to present a huge untapped opportunity for marketers with only 5% of global marketers reporting that their brands are using the platform. (Social Examiner)
- Instagram is also major channel for engaging with millennials — over 60% of 18-34 year olds are active users, and, on average, these users spend over 300 minutes per month on the platform. (Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers)
- However, marketers still struggle to promote content on Instagram without a little help from their, well, famous friends. they turn to influencers to spread the word about their products. One survey found that 90% of brands who have an influencer strategy are partnering with influencers on Instagram. (Digiday)
For even more stats, check out our 50 Most Important Marketing Stats of 2017.