Because the best marketers deserve great content.
Percolate Hack Day 2013: Highlights
On Friday, the teams at Percolate – business and product – assembled for #hackpercolate 2013.
Nourished by a delicious and healthy breakfast and raring to go, we divvied up into teams to work on projects ranging from a mobile site to a dashboard view of key metrics in Percolate to an internal website that showed the occupancy state of the bathroom. Yes, you read that correctly and can read the dedicated post for how well that went.
Dispatch from Team Aroma (Arduino Light)
Team Aroma started with the bare materials of Arduino and ended with a product that shows – via LED smiley face – 1. when a client logs in and 2. when a client post is published via Percolate. Erik taught Sarah, Song, and Max to solder, which was key to connecting the circuits so that the display would work. Meanwhile, JOB and Luke worked on programming for the Arduino device (after Max did the original Arduino set-up), enabling it to communicate with the server and display a corresponding bitmap image. On the back end for the server, Danny checked for new posts and logins with Max’s help.
Great news, the team’s prototype worked on the first try–boom! Currently, we are trying to be fancy and get usernames to scroll that will correspond to the login. Sarah christened this project with the name “Aroma.” Erin also made an excellent presentation to showoff everyone’s hardwork. And, in the end, JOB cleaned up our mess. Thank you sir.
Dispatch from Team Perco-Users
The Perco-user team was comprised of two developers, one designer and five business folks with a shared goal of making it easier for all Percolate employees to understand the frequency of client usage. Peter, an account manager at Percolate, tracks and analyzes client usage data daily. He knows this information like the back of his hand. However, Percolators in other functions don’t have easy access to this data. Our goal was to fix that. We set out to build an internal dashboard that easily communicates software usage. The ultimate objective is to understand client behavior to improve our product.
We began the brainstorm to find a balance between business need, creativity and product feasibility. Once we had the general concept, each discipline got to work. With a framework for the dashboard, we needed to understand how to best represent the data to keep it easily consumable. We decided it should be represented in two forms; an aggregate snapshot of all business, and a detailed breakout of each client.
In the end, the output was a blend of our unique perspectives from across the business. Now, everyone can understand software usage and work together – product and business – to get clients Percolating to their full potential. Because the more you Percolate, the happier you are!
And, a very special thanks to Kate Whitlow for her fantastic and healthy catering services.